The worst thing about shopping for furniture is not being able to afford any of it. If you can’t help but flinch at the prices at Pottery Barn and Anthropologie, it’s time to take matters into your own hands.
1. These chrome light bulbs are a must for any exposed-bulb light fixture.
2. These Container Store magazine files cost $9 retail, but only $3 to make.
3. Learn how to make this Marimekko-inspired wallpaper transfer.
4. A little spraypaint can turn a $19 lamp into a Jonathan Adler-style nursery light.
5. Make your own painted West Elm baskets.
6. This $500 Restoration Hardware trestle desk costs only $50 to make.
7. If you’re artistically inclined, make your own version of this Anthropologie mug.
8. Make your own IKEA Lotus lamp.
9. Pottery Barn apothecary jars run from $69-149…
10. These adorable storage boxes look just like the ones made by Danish interior design company House Doctor.
11. These watercolor mirrors are an amazingly easy DIY.
12. This Pottery Barn storage ladder costs $279.
13. This copycat IKEA console table means unlimited future breakfasts in bed.
14. Make your own almost-identical version of this Ballard Designs fold-down drying rack.
15. Wrap an existing chandelier in rope to replicate this Restoration Hardware lamp.
16. Make your own West Elm floor poufs from $3 IKEA rugs.
17. This nautical rope mirror is a Restoration Hardware-inspired IKEA hack.
18. This pet food canister will keep food way fresher than the bag.
19. Knock off this amazing Ralph Lauren decahedron pendant light fixture.
20. Make your own Hudson Bay Point quilted blanket.
21. Make your own version of these ancient-looking maps from Restoration Hardware.
22. Make your own Pottery Barn-inspired sandbox.
23. Knock off this Nate Berkus for Target vase.
24. Make your own version of this classy bench.
25. Make your own Confetti System party decorations.
26. Why pay $349 for this CB2 rug when you can paint your own?
27. Create your own Pottery Barn-inspired moss-covered letters, just in time for spring.
28. Re-create this Restoration Hardware coffee table with wooden pallets.
29. This Anthro-inspired ikat console can be easily DIYed with a piece from IKEA.
30. Recreate this modernist Z Gallerie TV tray.
31. Knock off this Serena and Lily chair by painting a stripe down the center of an armchair.
32. For Christmas time, create an exact replica of the Ballard Designs monogram wreath.
33. This Pottery Barn growth chart ruler is a really cute idea if you have kids, and only costs $7 with materials from Lowe’s.
34. This windowpane pillow by Horchow is a lovely design, but it costs $115 for a pillow.
35. Thrifty and Chic made a much larger version of these Pottery Barn crates to act as a laundry hamper.