Under-ground metro stations are associated with rats, garbage, noise and filth, not architecture. However, there are a few metro stations in the world that go against the grain, standing out as excellent examples of the beautiful architecture and interiors that can be created in underground spaces.
The interiors achieved in some of these metro stations become all the more impressive when you consider the challenges unique to creating comfortable underground spaces. The architects must keep track of the structural integrity of the walls, air circulation, excessive moisture, and a million other concerns. Their maintenance is another difficulty entirely – one that transit organizations often have difficulty with.
Vote for your favorite stations and, if there’s a beautiful metro station in your city that should be on this list, we’d love to see it!
1. Toledo Metro Station, Naples, Italy
2. Kievskaya, Mayakovskaya And Park Pobedy Stations, Moscow, Russia
3. Rådhuset Station, Stockholm, Sweden
4. Avtovo Metro Station, St. Petersburg, Russia
5. Tilework In Szent Gellért Square, Budapest, Hungary
6. Bund Sightseeing Tunnel, Shanghai, China
7. University Of Naples Subway Station, Italy
8. Arts Et Métiers Station, Paris, France
9. Formosa Boulevard Station, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
10. Kungstradgarden Metro Station, Stokholm, Sweden
11. City Hall Station, New York
12. T-Centralen Station, Stockholm, Sweden
13. Olaias Station, Lisbon, Portugal
14. Stadion Station, Stockholm, Sweden
15. Slavyansky Bulvar Station, Moscow, Russia